Monday, October 13, 2008

The Joy of Networking

So I'll quickly recap my weekend for you. Friday I had a dinner at my new bosses house. I started with my current company in May, he started in June. We have a very small branch. It is me and Ami as recruiters. I will talk more about Ami in other blogs, but bottom line she is my savior at work, one of the reasons I love my job, and slowly becoming one of my favorite people. My new boss became part of the happy family in July, and he is probably my polar opposite. He is an over the top happy, sensitive, one-upper. If you've ever seen the SNL skit with Penelope you know what I mean, and if you haven't please YouTube it right now... I mean we high five so much that I have to wear a wrist brace.. and most days I can stomach it because I get to release all of the frusteration on Ami as soon as he steps out of the office... We handle it because he does mean well... he genuwinely is a nice guy... just a very very annoying and nice guy. Ok so with that said it was dinner with Ami, myself, her husband Jason and my husband Melissa. and you know what... it was fun... I had a fun time, and I would be happy to do it again.. It goes to show you that I need to surround myself with optimists because it balances my "realist" and "pessimistic" pulls... not all of us can occupy the dark side simultaneously without dire consequences. After this party I got to hang out with my sister Friday night, Melissa's family Saturday night, and my family Sunday day and then I stayed home but some of the girls went to the 90's Sunday night for some drinking and debauchery. So all in all a family focused, but fun weekend.

I wanted to talk a little bit about a cool thing I did today. It was called Speed Networking. Ami and myself joined the Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, so we get to go to a bunch of networking type meeting and events. One they have coming up is a masquerade ball, but as they were describing it I was looking around at who they could be talking to because I can't imagine it's me.... I mean you wear a gown and a mask and there's dancing... and that's about as far as I got with it before I zoned out in horror. I mean me at a masquerade... what's another name for a masquerade??? that's right a ball.... I rest my case...

But today's event of speed networking was cool. I mean you really learn how to spew forth the most pertinant information in a very short time (I think it was 2 minutes).. The first person I went to I was far to long winded and kinda nervous. But by person 4 I was rocking, and actually it was kind of fun. I mean if you screw up you sweat it out for thirty seconds and you're on to the next. The funny part about it was my co-worker was four people ahead of me rotating the same way. (We didn't set it up very smartly). So everytime I sat at a new person they knew who I was and were telling me about some volunteer work Ami signed us up for, or lecture we were giving on career development, or kidney I was donating to their neice.... It looks as though I'll be busy.. All in all I thought it was a really cool concept, and it makes me really curious about speed dating. I mean if you had to sell yourself on a date in 30 seconds or less I'm curious to hear what people would say??? I mean people I know... because I'm assuming you lie.. or not lie but accentuate things.... Like dating a girl.. it's all low cut shirts and backrubs in the beginning, but then the black lace underwear return to the back of the drawer and out come the grandma panties and sweats....

Ok and you people that are still reading my blog hear this... I am a Rambler... that's why I named my blog The Constant Ramblings of Me.... I write like I think, and some people are entertained, and I'm assuming some not so much... but hey, it's just me!

No comments: